2015.09.23 11:38

CNBLUE’s Vocal Analysis: Jung Yonghwa

조회 수 1916 추천 수 2 댓글 15
?

단축키

Prev이전 문서

Next다음 문서

크게 작게 위로 아래로 댓글로 가기 인쇄

Found this to be an interesting read. Thought Yonghwa was a better vocalist but he isn't bad either. I think sometimes there are good vocalist but they lack stage presence, style, composition, etc. Yonghwa is multi-talented, charismatic, and knows how to connect with his audience, all of which contribute to his success. Especially his charisma and connection with his audience, don't think that is something someone can just learn.

Source: https://kpopvocalanalysis.wordpress.com/2015/09/22/cnblues-vocal-analysis-jung-yonghwa/

Vocal Range

G#2 ~ G#5 (3 Octaves)

Supported Range

B2/C3 ~ E4

Voice Type

Light Lyric Tenor

Strengths/Achievements

• Able to support his lower range down to C3/B2
  • One of the few tenors to be able to support his voice in the second octave
  • Very extensive mixed voice range
  • Support is present in the lower part of his mixed voice up to E4
  • Even vibrato is produced at times
  • Improvement shown in the lower range
  • Transitions into falsetto can be with relative ease

Weaknesses

• Voice can often sound thin and raspy
  • Lacks resonance and the sound of his voice is small, lacking power
  • Nasality is present throughout his range
  • Larynx early on in his mixed range around F#4/G4
  • Tongue tension present often in his voice
  • Throatiness happens in the mixed voice and falsetto
  • Falsetto is often airy and raspy
  • Intonation issues can happen often
  • Vibrato can be laggy outside his supported range
  • Breathing technique is very underdeveloped and unexplored
  • Voice is not agile and runs lack connection

Registers

• Lower register: By far his most developed register with little to no exposure in his repertoire. Surprisingly able to produce well supported notes in his lower range around C#3 ~ B2 but with stylistic airiness here and there.
  • Mixed register: very lightly approached, generally lacks a full sense of chest resonance and lacks power. Placement is usually throaty and nasal, lacks true sense of support and although extensive, it shows little to no development technically speaking.
  • Upper register: Very soft, raspy tone. Generally sings with an airy, disconnected falsetto with a tight throat and closed larynx. Transitions can be done with adequate accuracy but the voice shows little to no true head resonance or volume unless pushed.

Agility

As a rock singer with a very clean melodic approach to his singing, Yonghwa’s repertoire does not require him to generally sing with a runs or thrills. However so, he does occasionally need to be able to perform some kind of simple run that’s part of the melody of his covers or songs he chooses to sing and when that’s done, he can easily lose his sense of pitch and control. His thrills are usually smooth and well integrated in his muscle memory, such as in “So Sick“, but when it comes to more slightly more intricate vocal runs, he can easily lose his sense of key, such as in “고해“.

Overall analysis

Recently quite a popular vocalist and one of Korea’s most beloved band idol vocalists, Yonghwa debuted with C.N. Blue back in 2009. Following the debut of another band under FNC Entertainment, F.T. Island, CNBLUE’s catchy songs as well as public-friendly charisma earned them the popularity they have today. As their main vocalist, Yonghwa generally sings the most in the group, generally in a higher mid-third octave range up to the fourth octave of the piano, lying in the Tenor tessitura with a light tone and soft sound in his voice. Drawing influences from rock, pop and alternative genres of music, Yonghwa has been able to create a name for himself as an artist in the Korean music industry.

The lowest part of his range is the only part that has shown improvement over the years and the highlight of his voice technically. As a light lyric tenor, Yonghwa’s voice generally shines more in the upper mid third octave to fourth octave range, but even then he’s been able to work on his lower range over the years to produce considerable amounts of tone and keep ease in that range. Even though he may sound uncomfortable and his voice might not shine as much in his lower range he’s able to show support even down to C#3, notably in “Love Me Tender” and “애국가“, and even down to B2, such as in “봄바람“. However, as soon as he descends below B2, his voice still has the tendency to be pushed with a low larynx or to become quite airy in tone and lose the support he shows around B2/C3, such as the A2’s in “Wherever You Will Go“.  The issue with the support existent in Yonghwa’s lower range is that the repertoire which he sings as a member of CNBLUE does not allow him to showcase just how developed his lower range can be in comparison to most other tenors in K-pop.

His mixed range is his most used range and the part of his voice that shines in terms of being comfortable. Although that might be true, it is also one of the least developed parts of his voice. Yonghwa is technically very unaware of how to properly place his voice, often heavily using a throaty light approach to his mixed voice which oftentimes does not allow him to have any sort of volume or power. His mixed voice is very much a head-dominant and cricothyroid muscle driven mixed voice that does explore the true tone of his chest voice, already present in his lower range. His mixed voice is very extensive in range and can be pushed with minimal vocal strain due to its light approach, allowing him to phrase A4’s and G4’s without showing many signs of vocal fatigue, such as in “Checkmate” and “Love“.

However when’s taken out of the context of big band, rock songs, one can easily hear the true lack of breath support present in his mixed voice. The sound produced is generally shallow, nasal and raspy, without any chest voice resonance or true color of tone. Yonghwa can show an adequate amount of support around E4, such as in “바보라서“, but as soon as he goes up slightly around F4 and F#4, his tone becomes easily throaty, raspy and whiny. There’s almost no real amount of volume that comes out of his voice and he struggles with creating more power, often resulting in tongue tension, such as the F4’s in “어느 멋진 날“, “소녀” and “애국가“, where his tongue slides back slightly and closes up the back of his throat creating a froggy tight sound. On rare occasions, such as the F#4’s in “Wherever You Will Go“, he’s able to produce a stronger sound in his mix with less tension and more true chest overtones, but that also shows an issue with consistently being able to show good vocal technique. For the most part, his voice is generally raspy and lacks a clearness which can be attributed to his preference of singing in a rock style, ultimately suiting his vocal performances but also showing a lack of true development of his vocal technique. His larynx is generally high around F4 and up, and even though he’s able to extend his mix very high, there’s a lack of fulness in tone, color and a generally husky thin closed sound in his higher belted notes, such as the G4 in “반말송“, G#4 in “Can’t Stop“, Bb4 in “Yes“, B4’s in “Now Or Never” and even more impressively, his F#5/G5 in”I’m Sorry“.

His falsetto register is possibly his most underdeveloped register, where his voice can often lack stability and transitions may show to be a slight challenge to him, such as in “The Way You Are“. His falsetto shows a very soft airy tone, much like the rest of his voice. It suits acoustic covers and soft songs very well and is more or less controlled in terms of pitch, but may show issues with shakiness and tone production by being throaty and airy, such as the B4’s in “Drive” C5’s in “Payphone“, and the E5 in “Mileage“. These occasions show that Yonghwa can feel and place his falsetto in the upper part of his cavities, allowing a more head-placed sound with a disconnected approach in the vocal cords, thus creating a soft airy tone that does not translate into a true head voice, but suits the musical style Yonghwa sings. This register isn’t often explored up above E5, but he has shown that he can make good use of it when harmonizing and performing softer duets, such as “반말송” with Seohyun of Girls’ Generation.

Musically speaking, Yonghwa’s voice can be very attractive to the public. It doesn’t show immediate obvious signs of strain, it’s not overly pushed or yelled and generally is very soft and easy to hear. He lacks an ability to produce different types of dynamics with his voice and different genres of music, but when it comes to Alternative music, Rock music, Acoustic music and Pop-Rock music, Yonghwa’s tone and stylistic singing often lends itself quite well in such occasions. However, due to technical limitations, he is unable to create fuller sounds with his voice, produce true resonance, eliminate nasality, create more and less volume and truly control his mixed voice, becoming quite challenged dynamically and with vocal onsets.

As an artist and musician, Yonghwa does not attempt to be an example of a great vocalist and never claims to be one. He is first and foremost a musician who’s able to sing his own style of music and lend his voice to his own compositions. Although he may be far from a technical vocalist, his vocal style his music choices quite well and is able to create a good atmosphere, earning appreciation and love from the general public. If Yonghwa does decide to take on more challenging song choices, it’d be advisable for him to seek a vocal coach and truly develop his mixed voice in order to create more power, resonance and vocal flexibility in his voice. Even though his vocal approach is very light and less strained than most, it could still cause vocal damage over the years.

Musicianship

Although a very stylistic vocalist, Yonghwa takes good care of his melodic changes in his songs with his more musically inclined background. Not only is Yonghwa a songwriter, but also he’s an instrumentalist, who’s able to create his own melodies at will and has shown multiple times that although his technique may not be his strongest asset, he’s able to create his own color in his covers and always add his own flare to his vocal performances, such as in “Wherever You Will Go” and “The Way You Are“.

Rating

Weak to Average Vocalist

Vocal Range Video(s)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbggJt_6hf8

Video by: Hawaiipups and kpopvocalists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrTexsl_jpA

*Octave names are incorrect in English, they’re notated one octave above their actual pitch

Video by: sssris

Best Vocal Performance(s)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar2Yfkc-lGs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdIfx5bfU0A

Analyzed by Ahmin (Kitsunemale)

• Lois 2015.09.23 12:07
    성대를 보호하기 위해서라도 vocal coach의 도움이 필요하겠네요. 저음대의 용화 목소리도 더 듣고 싶고요. 어제 오늘 용화의 wherever you will go 너무 멋져서 반복해 듣고있었는데 여기서 best vocal performance 라고 추천해주시니 반가워요. Thanks for sharing.
  • elasticheart 2015.09.23 12:23
    The reviewer hit the nail on the head on the last two paragraphs. Yonghwa's charm is that he is a complete musician. He vocal abilities may not be technically great but he has a way to grasp the audience and has a great stage presence which is necessary for a lead vocalist of a band.
  • heich_ 2015.09.23 13:10

It's by far the most detailed review of him as a vocalist. But I'm really shocked that the reviewer would rate him as a "weak to average" vocalist. That's OUTRAGEOUS. Obviously, the reviewer hasn't seen him perform live in person nor the actual live coverages of concerts. His voice does NOT lack power at all. I very much disagree that his voice is small. Korean music shows do not do his voice justice. 

• littlelynn 2015.09.23 13:31
    Scratching my head at the bit about his voice lacking power. That makes no sense whatsoever.
  • ta_yooong 2015.09.23 14:08

Yonghwa does create his own color when he does covers and make it uniquely his own. One thing we all can agree fans and non fans that Yonghwa's voice GOT POWER. and he's got one of the best falsetto that i have heard (case in point, his falsetto singing Naul's part with Lee Moon Sae). It even sounded better than the original, imo. But then i'm not a singer or a trained voice analyst myself so what do i know! I'm just a fan who have fallen in love with his powerful charismatic voice. I just feel that there is so much more that he is capable with his voice. https://youtu.be/mFU9ZX4jsnA  . The first 16 seconds , that voice is a very powerful CHEST voice.

• heich_ 2015.09.23 14:45
    I went to that blog and left some example of his powerful vocals. Let's see how they respond.
  • Pearl 2015.09.23 19:55
    Interesting review and analysis, and there are some truths to what the reviewer says about his vocal techniques. But I beg to differ that he has not shown much growth and improvement and that he has a weak voice. If we compare the way he sings when he first debut and how he sings now, I can find marked changes and improvements in the way he controls and projects his voice, and if the reviewer had ever attended any of his live concerts, she would have heard his sometimes deafening power of a voice. I agree that he does tend to sing from his throat and that's when I worry for the strain he puts on his vocals.

Overall I would say that yes he may not have the best set of pipes in the industry, but compared to some of those who have perfect vocals but soulless singing, I would rate him as way above average to good singer. He knows what he is good at, and is smart enough to know how to work hard at improving it. I love his lower register and I agree that he doesn't sing in that register often enough, so if I may be so greedy, my wish would be for him to also try to sing more songs in the lower range cos he has a gorgeous sexy lower range.

Thanks for posting this. At least the reviewer has put in much thought and effort to analyse his voice as she sees/hears it.
  • Lullaby 2015.09.23 21:20
    So I read their criterias of what's included in weak, average, and so on. Most of their criterias are only based on range, which I don't think all there is to it in vocals. I don't remember if it's the same writer or blogger, but a "kpop vocal analyst" left a very biased comment on one yonghwa's article, which wasn't even abt his singing/songs.
    I also read another vocalists for my own comparison, one of the girl idol they labeled as weak n average was, well, to put in nice term, much lacking than yonghwa.
    Eventho he/she threw those vocal terms, I find this analysis very subjective.
  • lauriciu 2015.09.23 23:52

I also really can not agree with their review, as I know for sure they were against Yonghwa publicly on different sites, including that blog on comment's section of other artists ...

Moreover, how can a 22 years old person be a trusty analyst ?! ??! In addition, I saw they said they have biases in Kpop, so again where is their objectivity?

So, their analysis is much more than subjective, is opposite, so for me their review counts 0.

Yonghwa improved tremendously during years, his vocals were praised by true musicians and anyway for me he is the best vocalist, singer composer and musician, a whole musicianship package!

• Arashi 2015.09.24 07:57
    I may not be a vocal analyst, but i cant agree on them saying YH's voice has no power..& i've been a fan of him long enough to notice how much he improved over the years~ taking in consideration the above comment about the analyst & my own experience, I would rather believe all the artists/true musicians & ppl who witnessed him live *including non-fans* who praised his powerful & rich voice instead ^ ^~
    *ps the analyst gave average score to other singers who are known as great singers! besides YH isn't voted as #2 idol w/best vocals for no reason*
  • yhfan 2015.09.24 09:40
    This review was truly outrageous!! How can they judge yonghwa's vocal range and techniques by watching juat a couple of videos? I'm sure that they didn't hear his singing at any live venue. Also, they obviously sound to lack thorough and bias-free analysis skills for a ceaselessly developing mysician. I totally disagree with the above review because not I am a fan of Jung Yong Hwa but they analyzed with insufficient data and discriminating attitude.
  • tuthuy 2015.09.24 15:45
    Do you guys remember Yonghwa saying some people dislike CNBLUE and himself for no reason?! This is just another biased and subjective opinion!
  • ish 2015.09.24 18:23

Well, first and foremost, being a 'technically correct' vocalist and being a band vocalist is two distinctly different things; Yong Hwa , as we all know, belongs to the latter category and he is great at what he does. He doesn't claim to be a text-book 'great vocalist' technical-wise, nor does he aspire to become one, because that's not what his field of work requires.

Secondly, rating k pop vocalists based solely on criteria used to assess the technical accuracy of classical singers in itself is quite pointless, because in k pop, for the most part, choreography and visuals take precedence over singing and music. 

Thirdly, the credibility of the blog is questionable IMHO, due to a number of reasons;
    -The founders of the blog introduce themselves as 'fans' of k pop- they are not professional analysts. (Source: An interview with the founder of the blog http://omonatheydidnt.livejournal.com/13408480.html )
    -In the same article, they mention their 'favorite' k pop groups- An analyst should be bias-free if they want to be seen as credible.
    -I read some of the other analyses they have done regarding other k pop vocalists, and some of the vocalists who are rated as Above Average, Competent, Good-to-great etc made my brain swirl to be honest; I won't elaborate, but anyone interested can go there and read it for themselves. Simply put, some of the rankings are so obviously and outrageously biased.
    -Some of the vocalists who are ranked pretty high in the blog are members of the groups the founder of the blog names as his favorites in the above article at Omona.

There's more, but this post is already long as it is.

What saddens me is that this particular blog seems to have a considerably large following, who religiously believe anything and everything written by the blogger/s. But that's the age and world we live in.

• Dai 2015.09.24 22:36
    Thanks for sharing but I can't even finish reading the whole thing. I will never understand all these jargons. In the end, we like who we like I guess. Only us fans know how he has matured and improved over the years.
  • Lois 2015.09.24 23:16
    I understood the blog not as a criticism but as an analysis, pointing out areas further development will be beneficial and even prevent strain on the vocal chords. Yongwha has an awesome voice that we all love and an incredible range, and it wouldn't hurt to develop his voice further, just saying.

List of Articles
번호 분류 제목 날짜 조회 수 추천 수
85 리뷰 Non-Kpop Fan Reactions :) 1 2015.07.11 2598 1
84 리뷰 Mixtapes + Liner notes - My Top Korean Songs of 2015 2016.01.15 938 0
83 리뷰 Mileage (feat. YDG) by 음악취향y 7 2015.01.27 1587 0
82 리뷰 MBC 가요대제전 - 씨엔블루: 또 하나의 I'm Sorry 2 2014.01.27 2962 0
81 리뷰 Like a Child - 강한결 작가님 트윗 Writer Kang Hangyeol 12 2014.03.15 3900 13
80 리뷰 Kpopstarz.com 선정 2014년 최고의 곡 3위 K-Pop Mixtape: The 10 Best Songs Of 2014 (So Far)-#3 2 2014.04.02 2760 1
79 리뷰 KpopReviewed: Between Us – CN BLUE 1 2017.03.24 916 2
78 리뷰 Korean rockers CNBlue more confident after world tour experience 5 2014.05.12 2118 2
77 리뷰 KCON 관련 뉴욕타임즈 기사 중 In NYT article on KCON 2017 4 file 2017.06.26 1490 4
76 리뷰 In the pink with CNBlue 2017.04.25 950 1
75 리뷰 Fuse TV - KCON NY 2017 리포트 file 2017.06.29 762 1
74 리뷰 FNC KINGDOM- Excite Music 8 2014.03.16 3074 7
73 리뷰 FNC KINGDOM- @eijingotanda 2 2014.03.16 2557 8
72 리뷰 FLIX 2010년 12월호 - CNBLUE 2nd Single Release Live~Listen to the CNBLUE(2010.09.20@SHIBUYA-AX) 레포트 2012.10.02 3018 0
71 리뷰 Eyelike: CN Blue shows maturity on ‘Can’t Stop’ -The Korea Herald 2 2014.03.16 2895 3
70 리뷰 Excerpt from an article mentioning YH in Seoulbeats 기사 중 용화 언급 부분- 발췌 2 2012.10.20 6448 7
69 리뷰 Dream Yume Entertainment - 여자여자해 (That Girl) (Feat. Loco 로꼬) M/V REACT & REVIEW 2 2017.07.20 953 2
68 리뷰 Does the Use of English During Korean Concerts in the U.S. Help with Fan and Media Reception? 2014.01.30 2955 0
67 리뷰 Do Disturb - 김영대 평론가 트윗단평 Youngdae Kim Tweets 3 2017.07.21 1122 8
66 리뷰 Do Disturb - Idology 3 2017.08.11 1370 4
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next
/ 13