리뷰
by anonymous posted Sep 06, 2017
?

단축키

Prev이전 문서

Next다음 문서

ESC닫기

크게 작게 위로 아래로 댓글로 가기 인쇄

South Korean pop-rock band CNBlue's Jung Yong Hwa is coming into his own as a solo artist.

Since his debut album One Fine Day came out two years ago, the frontman has grown as a musician and embraced more genres in his follow-up EP, Do Disturb.

The singer-songwriter also had a hand in writing the melody and lyrics for all six tracks.

Ditching the comfort zone of ballads, he tries out deep house for the first time in Password. The groovy track is co-written by Peter Wallevik, who has composed for international stars such as One Direction and Olly Murs.

The self-penned tune, Navigation, was inspired by Jung's poor sense of direction and reliance on good old GPS, or Global Positioning System.

The melancholic song has a deeper message. He sings to encourage listeners to use their dreams as a guiding force whenever they feel lost.

For the lead track, he serves up the catchy summer jam That Girl, an upbeat concoction of pop, funk and rap.

At the sight of his ideal girl, Jung exclaims in Korean in his soaring vocals: "Mama, I finally found my baby." Then he switches to English: "I'm ready to give all my lovin' to you, oh babe."

The light-hearted love confession is interrupted by rapper Loco. The song could have done without the bass-heavy rap interludes as they do not blend in with the breezy melody.

Not all the experimenting paid off on this album. But music lover Jung sounds like he had fun taking risks on his journey of musical self-discovery.

Gwendolyn Ng

(N.B. The Straites Times is the most read daily newspaper in Singapore with 1.23m readership)

http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/entertainment/hot-tracks-100