조회 수 2855 추천 수 8 댓글 10
?

단축키

Prev이전 문서

Next다음 문서

크게 작게 위로 아래로 댓글로 가기 인쇄

☆ (별 세개 반 Three stars and a half)

by 정민재

같은 기획사에서 3년 터울을 두고 데뷔한 에프티아일랜드와 씨엔블루는 공통의 궤적을 그려왔다. 꼭두각시라는 조롱을 받으며 평가절하 당하던 두 밴드는 점차 자신만의 음악으로 대중과 음악 팬들에 어필했다. '댄스가 아니면 힘들다.'는 업계의 불문율을 깨고 밴드 음악으로 아이돌 시장에서 경쟁력을 확보했고, 초기 활동에서 비롯된 편견을 진실한 음악으로 정면 돌파하기 시작했다.

에프티아일랜드가 "I Will"에서 환골탈태 수준으로 사운드를 전면 재정비하며 팀을 재조명케 했다면, 씨엔블루는 수용 범위가 더 넓은 팝 록을 고수한다. 특유의 미끈한 선율과 넘실대는 그루브는 여느 때보다 매력적이다. 곡에 따라 창법을 달리한 정용화의 보컬 운용과 멤버들의 블렌딩 수준도 준수하다. 여전히 프레이즈 반복에 치중한 작법이 주를 이루고, 얕은 심도의 가사에서 오는 아쉬움에도 깔끔한 만듦새의 음악이 기분 좋게 한다. 어깨에 잔뜩 힘이 들어가 있던 과거에 비해 확실히 자연스럽다.

구색 맞추기 위한 뻔한 발라드 트랙 따위는 없다. 앨범을 관통하는 주요 테마로 신시사이저를 활용, 댄스 그루브와 몽환적 분위기를 음반 전반에 걸쳐 배치했다. 얼핏 기존 씨엔블루 음악에서 크게 벗어나지 않은 듯 보이는 타이틀 곡 '신데렐라'는 밀도 높은 구성과 사운드로 이전보다 확실히 진화한 흡인력을 드러낸다. 마마무의 휘인을 참여시켜 완성도를 높인 'Domino'는 펑크(funk)풍 리듬 기타와 신스 사운드를 근사하게 조화시킨 앨범의 하이라이트다. 감각적인 신시사이저 사용으로 인상적 댄스 록을 주조한 'Drunken night'와 'Catch me' 또한 밴드의 저력이 엿보이는 대목이다.

전자음을 위시한 트랙들이 밴드의 새로운 일면을 조명하는 사이, '롤러코스터', 'Hero' 등 과거의 씨엔블루와 맞닿아 있는 곡들이 앨범의 균형을 이룬다. 기존 일본 발표 곡을 번안한 'Control'과 'Radio', '발자국' 중 특히 'Radio'는 타 수록곡을 압도하는 폭발적인 에너지로 'Domino'와 함께 가장 주목할 만한 곡이다. 안정적으로 정돈된 사운드 컬러와 유연한 흐름이 느껴지는 트랙 배열에서는 튼튼한 구성에도 신경 쓴 흔적이 역력하다. 지나치게 단순, 한정적인 가사와 다양성이 부족한 작, 편곡에서 조금씩 엿보이는 한계가 있음에도 "2gether"는 분명 웰 메이드 팝 록 앨범이라 할만하다.

결성 초반의 씨엔블루에게는 상상하기 힘든 일취월장의 모습이다. 다소 비뚤어진 시선과 편견에 관계없이 성실하게 음악에 매진한 시간이 헛되지 않았음을 앨범은 대변한다. 갈고닦은 음악으로 자신만의 궤도에 진입한 밴드는 과거에서 비롯된 의심의 눈초리를 거두고 팀의 미래를 기대하게 만들고 있다.

Trans)

by Jung Minjae

Debuted from the same agency with a 3-year interval, FTisland and CNBLUE have drawn similar trajectories. Jeered as puppets and underrated, the two bands gradually began to appeal to the public and music fans with their own music. Breaking the unwritten rule in the industry that “it’s difficult unless it’s dance music,” they have secured competitive edge in the idol market with band music. Now they have begun to make frontal breakthroughs with genuine music against the prejudices that they faced initially.

While FTisland gained spotlight by totally revamping their sound in “I Will,” CNBLUE adheres to their wide-ranging pop rock. Their signature smooth melodies and waving grooves are more attractive than ever. Jung Yonghwa’s vocal management that differs in each song, as well as the members’ blending skills, are both excellent. Despite the repetition of phrases and shallow depth of lyrics that leaves one wanting, the neat composition of the tracks makes you feel good. Compared with the music that was full of uncomfortable tension in the past, it’s definitely more natural.

There’s no banal ballad track included just for its sake. As the main theme that encompasses the album, the synthesizer is utilized to place dance grooves and a dreamy atmosphere throughout. Though it doesn’t seem far from CNBLUE’s past music at first glance, the title track ‘Cinderella’ has much denser structure and sound which reveals a definitely evolved sense of appeal. Raising the quality by featuring mamamoo’s Wheein, ’Domino’ serves as the album’s highlight by splendidly mashing funk rhythm guitar and synth sounds. The sensible usage of synthesizer that produced impressive dance rock numbers ’Drunken night’ and ‘Catch me’ also lets one peak into he band’s capabilities.

While the tracks fronted by electronic sounds shed light to the new side of the band, songs such as ‘Roller coaster’ and ‘Hero’ that are continuous of CNBLUE’s past balance out the album. Among the translations of releases in Japan, — ‘Control’, ‘Radio,’ and ‘Footsteps’— ‘Radio’ overwhelms other listed tracks with its explosive energy. It’s the most worthy track to pay attention to along with ‘Domino’. The stable, tidied color of their sound, along with the fluid sequence of tracks, makes it obvious how much effort was put in to its solid structure. Though few limitations can be noticed from simplistic and restrained lyrics, as well as composition and arrangement that lack diversity, one can definitely call “2gether”  a well-made pop rock album. 

This is a dramatic progress, unfathomable from the early days of CNBLUE. The album represents how the time invested diligently into music, regardless of twisted perspectives toward them, was not in vain. The band has now entered their own orbit, making spectators withdraw their doubtful eyes and anticipate their future.

-수록곡 Tracks-
1. 신데렐라 Cinderella [추천 Recommended]
2. 숨바꼭질 Hide and seek 
3. 롤러코스터 Roller coaster
4. Domino (feat. 휘인 of 마마무)  [추천 Recommended]
5. Hero
6. Drunken night  [추천 Recommended]
7. Catch me
8. Hold my hand 
9. Control  [추천 Recommended]
10. Radio  [추천 Recommended]
11. 발자국 

cr. http://izm.co.kr/contentRead.asp?idx=27164&bigcateidx=1&subcateidx=3&view_tp=1
  • CNBLUELOGY 2015.10.12 09:10
    This is really highly rated by this site! Yonghwa really did a great job this time!
  • Pearl 2015.10.12 09:26
    Wow another good review from a reputable site. I do agree that there can be more to be done in terms of lyrics and I think this has got to do with experience and exposure. I hope Yong Hwa gets to read this reviewer's comments and take away some learnings for their next album. His various collaborations with other artists and producers during his solo did wonders and was good and maybe the band can do the same for their next album. He also really needs to take a break and live life to experience something outside of his norm and hopefully that will help him write more diverse lyrics and songs too.

But I'm happy there is recognition from respected professionals that he is taking the right steps and direction to the Top of the World!
  • musica 2015.10.12 12:06
    Thank you so much for translating this. The reviews are getting more and more objective with each album. So happy to see the last line, anticipate their future! Would I be wishing too much if I wanted the reviewers to visit their early music and realize what an amazing talent YH had from the very beginning??^^
  • mystarYH 2015.10.12 13:13
    신데렐라 싱글리뷰를 보고 기대했었는데, 기대보다 더 좋은 리뷰를 볼수 있어 행복합니다.
    용화가 투게더 앨범 전반적으로 표현하고자 했던것과 자연스러움. 그리고 내려놓고자 했던것까지 제대로 간파하셨네요. 특히나 제가 너무 좋아하는 라디오가 극찬받은거 보니 더 좋네요ㅎㅎ
  • heich_ 2015.10.12 14:28
    의외로(!) 이번 앨범에 대한 평 중 원하던 것을 거진 다 얻은 평이네요.
    타이틀곡 신데렐라에 대한 분석적 호평과 라디오에 대한 칭찬, 일렉사운드와 새로운 '애티튜드'에 대한 이해. 용화의 보컬운용에 대한 찬사와 앨범 전체를 관통하는 통일성에 대한 인식.^^

언젠가 인터뷰에서, 대중들이 느끼기엔 쉽고 음악을 배우는 사람들에게는 더 디테일한 것들이 보이는 곡을 쓰고 싶다고 했었죠. 꽤 상당부분 성공하지 않았나 싶어요 ㅎㅎ
  • Bohemian_n 2015.10.12 16:59
    이번 일본 앨범까지 들으면 깜짝 놀라실 텐데...... 솔로 앨범, 한국 정규앨범, 일본 정규앨범... 어느것 하나 소홀함 없이, 더구나 발전에 발전을 거듭하며, 올 한 해 정용화 씨는 정말 대단한 일을 해냈네요. 이러니 기대를 안 할 수가 없죠 >ㅇ<
  • k 2015.10.12 17:52
    I'm happy to see yonghwa's effort being acknowledged. I do agree with the lyrics being too repetitive and simple. I think more exposure might help with that. This is why I respect his decision to take a break from composing. He's been continuously writing and composing music this year. Music shouldn't be made just for the sake of it. I hope that his next compositions have more diverse lyrics with depth. Preferably lyrics about more mature topics/issues rather than love/heartbreak. Jung Yong Hwa fighting!!!
  • mhssw 2015.10.12 22:43
    im so proud and happy for yonghwa... though this album is not entirely perfect, yonghwa did his best to deliver his feelings through high quality music for us fans to enjoy and understand. Take a good rest and comeback being better than ever!!!!<3
  • Elsie_AR 2015.10.13 12:42
    Yonghwa has said lots of time that in this album he was more focused to find CNBLUE real sound/music-style, also with two (hurried) comeback at the same time, I didn't pay attention about the 'repetition' of phrases (on lyrics), coz this time I felt Yonghwa wanted to share their feelings through totally new style, like Domino, totally new electro-free-sound, synth so nice, eventhough its a totally new (music)experience its pretty cool (for me its like I wanna dance everytime I listen it), coz you can hear YH feel so comfortable singing it, as he has found a totally new way to express and share his feeling and which the 'repetition' of the phrases(on lyrics) fits so well. For that reason to me it wasn't a big deal, coz the message/style is different this time, tho.
    'Vocal management that differs in each song', well for me that was YH challenging himself with the goal to find his true color, and as long he has found his true style and as long he is happy with this, I'm happy for him, and will continue enjoying his music.
  • YAT 2015.10.14 00:14
    I just enjoy YH's songs ... it's been always so refreshing & interesting ... and his gorgeous vocal that captivates me so much.

List of Articles
번호 분류 제목 날짜 조회 수 추천 수
245 리뷰 "CNBLUE"라이브 레포트 part1(by. ELLEgirl 편집부 인턴기자) file 2012.10.02 6364 0
244 리뷰 "CNBLUE"라이브 레포트 part2(by. ELLEgirl 편집부 인턴기자) file 2012.10.02 6300 0
243 리뷰 #21 Can't Stop - allkpop's Top 50 K-Pop Songs of 2014 2014.12.24 1762 4
242 리뷰 #85 불꽃놀이 Fireworks - Top 100 Korean Songs of 2016 @ Is this how you K-pop? 2 2016.12.17 1470 3
241 리뷰 'K-STOP' PODCAST: That Girl 1 2017.07.28 855 1
240 리뷰 '두 디스터브', 도전과 테크닉으로부터 오는 해방감 2 2017.07.22 680 6
239 리뷰 '월요일은 없어요';…씨엔블루, 쉴 틈없는 120분 록페 file 2017.06.05 570 1
238 리뷰 '홀로서기' 정용화-종현-니엘, 아티스트로 거듭나다 2015.02.19 1284 1
237 리뷰 (역) [StraitsTimes] Powerhouse vocalist Jung Yong Hwa delivers at first solo concert 첫 솔로 콘서트를 훌륭히 해낸 파워 보컬리스트 정용화 8 2015.05.31 2360 6
236 리뷰 (한국어 번역) EMTG MUSIC 2016.12.14 CNBLUE 라이브 리포트 2 2017.01.02 783 0
235 리뷰 10 Reasons Why One K Global Peace Concert “Shookt” Manila One K 글로벌 평화콘서트가 마닐라를 뒤흔든 이유 3 file 2017.03.06 1114 4
234 리뷰 2010 WPK 가을호-어디까지나 음악으로 승부하겠다는 명쾌한 뮤지션쉽 file 2012.10.02 3295 0
233 리뷰 2010.09.27 도쿄스포츠 - 정용화와 CNBLUE 2012.10.02 3125 0
232 리뷰 2011.06.01 韓FUN vol5 MY FUNNY KOREA 컬럼 - CNBLUE 정용화는 겉모습이 다가 아니다! file 2012.10.03 4218 1
231 리뷰 2011.12.28 Countdown JAPAN Quick report! file 2012.10.03 5206 0
230 리뷰 2014.01.24 BMLA후기 (스압주의) 37 file 2014.01.26 1971 15
229 리뷰 2014.05.24 슈키라 Sukira 최고의 드라이빙 뮤직 Best Music for Driving- Can't Stop 8 2014.05.26 3597 6
228 리뷰 2016 k-pop 수록곡 best 10 중 young forever 6 2017.03.18 1134 6
» 리뷰 2gether - izm 10 2015.10.12 2855 8
226 리뷰 2gether - 아이돌로지 Idology 1st Listen (Pick!) by 김영대, 미묘 6 2015.09.27 3197 4
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next
/ 13