본문 바로가기
조회 수 4799 추천 수 10 댓글 28
?

단축키

Prev이전 문서

Next다음 문서

크게 작게 위로 아래로 댓글로 가기 인쇄
그렇다면 씨엔블루로 대변되는 이른바 메이저 밴드는 과연 김바다의 눈에 어떻게 보일까? 

이에 대해 김바다는 “씨엔블루의 이번 (‘Can't Stop’ 노래가) 괜찮다. 비틀즈의 초기 모습 같은 느낌이 있더라”라며 “하얀 수트 입고 악기 하나씩 잡고 노래하는 모습이 그렇다”라고 호평했다.

또한 김바다는 “씨엔블루같은 팀이 (음악적으로 더)깊어지길 바란다. 그렇게 되면 재미있을 것 같다”라며 “(비틀즈의)‘Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds’ 같은 노래도 내고 그렇게 성장하면 좋겠다. 음악적으로 깊어지고 보여주기 위한 음악뿐만이 아니라 들려주기 위한 음악을 해줬으면 하는 게 선배의 마음이다”라고 조언도 잊지 않았다. 

Then, what does he think about major bands, represented by bands like CNBLUE?

Kim Bada favorably commented, "CNBLUE's new song (Can't Stop) is nice. They give off the vibe of the early Beatles. Wearing white suits, each one taking up an instrument and singing."

He added an advice, "I wish teams like CNBLUE would become (musically) deeper. It'd be fun if they do that. It'd be nice if they release songs like 'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds' by the Beatles and grow that way. Become deeper musically, and make music not just for the show but for people to listen."

cr: http://star.fnnews.com/news/index.html?no=281673

More info on Kim bada, one of the most respected Korean rock vocalists, here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bada_Kim
  • musica 2014.03.10 12:56
    This is very encouraging. And I love the fact they use the word "major band" when they refer to CNBLUE now, a welcoming change from the dreaded "idol band". I am so happy Mr. Kim mentioned the Beatles. I always think of CNBLUE whenever I watch a video clip of the early days of the Beatles. Their youth, the happy beats and rhythms, most of all their obvious joy of performing their music. Lucy in the Sky with a Diamond...who does not love this song and I hope YH writes a song about a girl with a kaleidoscope eyes one day, but definitely without an assistance of a chemical ^^.
  • yejingyi 2014.03.10 13:56
    after reading this ,a strange feeling came to me .cnblue use 5 year to change from an idol band to a Kpop band or a major band .maybe it is a time i should be happy for that ,but i don't know they would take how long to become a world band .their goal seems so hard to approach .that makes so sad .i know it is not a time to give up .i will wait one day they become the second beatles.
  • Mia 2014.03.10 14:34
    I'm assuming Mr. Kim is one of the important people in South Korea, so it's nice to hear such compliments. However, music affects people in various ways, so I believe that one can be touched by a song that seems simple/shallow to others, yet has a great meaning for someone else. That's the beauty of music.
    I would disagree that Yonghwa, being where he is at the moment, writes music just for "the show". He feels calmer than last year, hence he wrote his material in a certain way. And I like that he writes it the way he wants to write it. I respect him for and enjoy the fact that he shares with me, as a listener, how he feels at the moment. In general, maturing musically comes with age and experience, to start off. (Frankly, having songs that are "older" than you can backfire, too, making the artist lose authenticity to some degree.)
  • YAT 2014.03.10 18:46
    I am no musician but Yong Hwa's music & voice always stir some emotion in me which I can't explain .... so I have always regard his songs are for listening. His showmanship in performance is a bonus.
  • Pearl 2014.03.10 18:53
    It's great to read that he likes the song. On whether their compositions are 'deep' enough or not, I think that is up to the individual's preference. Sometimes musicians try so hard to make their songs 'deep' just to show how good they are that the song is no longer accessable to many people. Is it good or bad, well whose to know. All I know is that I thoroughly enjoy all the songs in this album.
  • steelyhazel 2014.03.10 23:18

A compliment from such a prominent musician should be appreciated, of course. However, I hope that when he mentions Beatles, he means it as a concept of fresh and new sound and not as the actual band. Naturally, they have many musical influences, but they are far form being any-body's clones. That's why even seemingly flattering comparisons bother me. CNBLUE is CNBLUE,with their own, by now very recognizable, sound and color. I like the honesty and straightforward nature of their music.   I love the fact that they don't try to be what they are not. And what they ARE is really great. The fact that they'll grow and mature musically is a given, going by their steady growth up till now.

• Mia 2014.03.11 06:31

I think he does mean that as a concept, which is probably why I didn't have much problem with that aspect of his compliment :) However, writing "for the show" stuff sorta got to me. As far as I can see, Yonghwa always writes stuff that will be (at least to some extent) liked by the public but at the same time will express his personal musical likes./And that's a happy medium :)

• heich_ 2014.03.11 07:34

Since many seem disappointed, let me try to put this into context again.

Though I agree that he didn't necessarily look too deep into YH's music (understandably since you can't NOT look at his beautiful face when he sings),

after the absolute PR DISASTER of last year, any kind of positive comment from the Krock scene, that would even refer them to the Beatles NOT in a mocking manner, is a HUGE compliment. Also, the bare fact that he considers it possible for them to improve and grow into a band like the Beatles is an incredible leap from ANYTHING the Krock community has said about CNBLUE.

Shall we take one step at a time...?

• Mia 2014.03.11 13:17

I speak for myself. (Don't know about others.) For me, it's not a matter of disappointment. It's just that I don't completely agree with what he said, that's all :) And that pertains mostly to the "writing for the show" part. That's what rubbed me the wrong way. (I thank him for his kind wishes and whatnot.)

Although I'm very grateful to you for giving some background info, it doesn't really change the fact that Mr. Kim isn't quite in the loop :)

(By the way, what happened last year? It looks like I'm out of the loop, too :D)

Personally, I'm cool with however CNBLUE and Yonghwa in particular want to progress: it's their life, their music, and I'm just a guest at their awesome feast.

• heich_ 2014.03.11 13:23

You have to know what happened last year to understand my, and his context. And why, regardless of whether or not you agree with him, what he said is an incredible compliment. 

The reason I provide the context is not to say, your opinions are wrong. I'm providing it so that you understand this means so much more to K fans than what it looks on the surface. This is like a little breath of fresh air in an environment where Yonghwa's music is ALWAYS out of the loop. 

• Mia 2014.03.11 13:47

I didn't, in any way, imply that you thought or tried to say that my opinion was/is wrong. Didn't even think about that, not for a bit! :) So, I'm sorry if it came across as such. I'm happy about positive comments as much as the next person. I think his words being an incredible compliment and me not agreeing with some other aspect of his statement can happily coexist :) While being a compliment, it lacked insight to a certain extent. Two parts of a whole, that's all.

:)

EDIT: I don't know... Perhaps I'm just not making myself clear and/or we're talking about different things.

• heich_ 2014.03.11 14:13

To a rich kid who always gets to eat quality cuisine, a piece of slightly burnt toast would be a throwaway.

To a starving child who just got to eat, pointing out why that bread wasn't prepared perfectly doesn't make a whole lot of sense. 

In my opinion, that context just cannot be taken out of the way we view his comment. It's not equal parts of a whole. The fact that he said this is so much more important than his oversight. 

I hope you don't think  I agree with his comment entirely. I wouldn't be spending so much time and energy for someone who only does music for the show.

• Mia 2014.03.11 14:24

I understand your concern with the context, and I'm not taking it out of the way. You put a greater importance on X, while I put a greater importance on Y, and I'm trying to say that it's all good that way. Having two different takes is ok, I hope...

And that might be because you're a K fan, and I, as you've sorta pointed out, am not.

I'm not thinking anything anymore, to be honest ;) Frankly, I regret commenting on this :)

• heich_ 2014.03.11 14:36
    Having a different take on things is of course always okay.

In case you had no idea about X, I thought I'd share it because everyone only seemed to look at Y. You said yourself you don't know what happened last year. To me that was taking it out of the context.

I wasn't trying to make it K fan vs. non-K fan. I hope you're not offended.
  • Mia 2014.03.11 15:33
    In case you had no idea about X, I thought I'd share it because everyone only seemed to look at Y

And I believe I did express my gratitude ;) I meant it.

Re: Kfan vs. non-Kfan

Yeah, but it seems like that's what it comes down to, which is totally understandable, and I have no problem with it :) Thanks for the discussion! *thumbs up*

Just a quick question: when you said that YH's music is "out of the loop", you meant it's not mainstream, right?

• heich_ 2014.03.11 16:08

The only reason I translate things here, and bring up the K fan issue, is so that I could somehow reduce any gap in knowledge between K fans and international fans, not to turn it into a cleavage. I would not invest so much time and energy just to drive a wedge. It wouldn't make me feel good in any way?...

YH's music is not "not mainstream". It charts well on digital and CD sales. 

Perhaps it's too mainstream. Perhaps it's distracted by his looks, or the way his agency promotes him. 

I meant it's out of the loop from the Krock community due to the series of extremely unfortunate PR disasters that are no secrets and would be very painful for me to rehash in detail here.

• Mia 2014.03.11 16:16

"not to turn it into a cleavage"

Didn't mean it that way. I was just stating a fact and emphasizing that I had no problem with it :) That's what I said. I do understand that people here have different backgrounds, etc., and I understand how that plays into the dynamics. 

"Perhaps it's too mainstream."

Oh... Really?.. Huh... I didn't see that one coming. Interesting...

• winnieho 2014.03.11 15:00
    I have read another Kfan who was also very happy of how this album is being reviewed in South Korea. Being an international fan that does not read Hangul, I don't have the full picture of how YH and CNBLUE is being perceived. I only get bits and pieces form reading English translations from Kfans like you. That's why I am so very grateful of your translations. What I can gather though, is that YH and CNBLUE is or should I say, was not getting positivity from the Krock community before. So I am so glad that they have now seen the light :) so to speak. This is a positive feedback. I don't expect any glowing praises as I'm sure many of them have to eat their words, which is by no means easy. At least now I have the satisfaction of knowing that YH's and CNBLUE's hardwork and perseverance has paid off, maybe not 100% yet! but they are getting there. I'm so proud of them! LOL at your comment on YH's beautiful face being a distraction. I totally agree! :)
  • checkinout 2014.03.11 17:35

Thanks heich for the trans and context.

For those who are new and may not know the full history of how CNBLUE is perceived in S. Korea, they were very much scorned for a couple of poor PR incidences since they made their debut to the point that it was CNBLUE = idol (i.e. fake band) vs k-rock/k-indie ('real' bands). For the longest time, CNBLUE has been the punching bag for the k-rock/indie scene who are unhappy with how idol music has taken over much of S. Korea's music programs/awards. CNBLUE has had to bear harsh (and wrongful) criticism on how they are fake, don't play their instruments, don't write their own music etc even though we know this to be completely untrue.

For anyone from the k-rock scene (even a fan of, which is why someone with such amazing history like Mr Kim Bada is even more meaningful) to pay a compliment to CNBLUE is considered a huge achievement, even though for the rest of us who bear no such prejudices, we still feel that Yong Hwa's musical talent is severely under-rated. One of the reasons I'm so proud of Yong Hwa is that after the first wave criticism during their debut in 2010, he said that the only way to counter criticism is by action and not words, and in the short span of 4 years, he has written so much diverse and good music that should anyone dig a little deeper, the extent of his musical talent will surely astound...

• klaritia 2014.03.11 18:22

I'm not sure how unhappy the K rock scene has been with idol music. If it's true that CNBLUE has become the punching bag, I would blame only HSH, the CEO of FNC. Why did he have to be arrogant and offensive responding to the plagiarism allegation of "I'm A Loner"? "If we really copied, we would have copied from foreign bands..." (The implication needs more explanation?)  The best way disputing the accusation that CNBLUE doesn't write their music is to let them release self-compositions in Korea. Why didn't he use Yonghwa's "In My Head" instead of "Intuition" in 2011? Yonghwa wrote that song in 2010! HSH also thought a certain K indie band's asking for personal apology on unintentionally infringing their copyright was "ruining CNBLUE's hallyu star status"!

Is this really just some misunderstanding and it's the K rock people's fault? They don't "look around"? They don't see that the band is doing "great" overseas? HSH himself was proud of his Korea vs Japan two way "strategies" in some lengthy interviews in 2012. It is until last year that "I'm Sorry" happened. The efforts of making all-live performance on TV music shows to "prove" to the K public that they are "real". The effects were almost cancelled out I guess with the poor handling of the copyright thing. I know some fans still say the K rock people "are just jealous". If Yonghwa has something that they are jealous of, why do you think he said, "Rather than winning No.1, I'd like to hear people say it's a good song and good music. I want to really feel that consensus"?

Please also read that Simpsons article. The reporter can tell Yonghwa feels trapped.

• Mia 2014.03.12 02:17

Oh, so that was what heich was referring to? The "fake" issue? That part I knew about. I thought there was something else. Thanks for clarifying. Glad to see I'm not as unfamiliar with things as I thought I was.

• heich_ 2014.03.12 03:37

Some generic contempt from the rock scene is totally not what I was talking about.

I was referring to the specific incident that happened last year in February. If you haven't noticed, I don't want to discuss it. Can you please look it up? 

• Mia 2014.03.12 03:44

And if you haven't noticed, the only time I asked you about it was in my first response. When you said you didn't want to go into details, I didn't ask you for them. I'm sure it's just the shortcomings of online communication, but no need to be rude to me. I didn't do anything wrong.

• heich_ 2014.03.12 03:48

I'm sorry my response came off as rude to you. But it frustrated me that you don't bother looking it up and presumed that's all there was to it. It's a very sensitive issue for me, so I didn't want to bring it up again, but you beg the question. 

• Mia 2014.03.12 03:57

How would I look it up if I didn't even know what I was looking for? You called it "PR disasters", which isn't very specific. Since you know more about it, you could've just said, "Hey, Mia, google this and that." And I would've done so. Instead, I'm like a target of personal frustration, and that's not very pleasant.

And just to clear the air, I apologize for touching upon a sensitive topic of yours, and I won't do that again.

EDIT: got it! *thumbs up* Thank you.

• Mars 2014.03.11 20:47
    I'm really happy about this round of promotions in terms of the exposure and appreciation for their music/work:
    - They got nice feedback from Kim Bada and also Kim Jong Wan of Nell (I find it interesting how both of them mentioned the potential CNBLUE has and how they look forward to the deepening of CNB's music).
    - They appeared on Jo Jung Chi's radio program and will appear on Kim Chang Wan's tomorrow, which further shows they are recognised by people in the rock/band scene.
    - They have Sketchbook hapening after the amazing Comeback Show and the 'Live Stage Big Pleasure' lives.
    Slowly they'll get the appreciation they are looking for and I hope all these interactions and comments will make them grow further =).
  • booksandcoffeejen 2014.03.12 03:17
    Wow I'm really interested and intrigued by every point you guys have brought up. Just wanted to acknowledge that even if there is a difference of opinion or a different "take" on an issue, there's people who are appreciating the discussion and feel that your opinions are valid. :D

Mars I think it's great that you mentioned HOW MUCH they've accomplished, as far as credibility, this comeback cycle. Sometimes as a fan I tend to get caught up in the music show ideology and the concept that wins equal success but after reading your breakdown of what they've done so far in a few short week, I feel so proud and recognize how much effort and hard work they've put in. I just hope they realize how proud we are of them. I think they're WELL on their way to becoming a universally respected and defining korean bands and with time, we'll look back on these "idol band" tags and hopefully laugh. I look forward to growing with CNBLUE until they become a "grandpa" band.
  • Mia 2014.03.12 03:48

"I look forward to growing with CNBLUE until they become a "grandpa" band."

Looking like ZZ Top, yes! :D

List of Articles
번호 분류 제목 날짜 조회 수 추천 수
245 리뷰 이즘 팟캐스트 Izm Podcast - 과소평가된 가수 Underrated Singer 24 2017.03.29 8247 31
244 리뷰 입김 Hello - 비사이드 izm (podcast) 2016년 상반기 최고의 싱글 Best Single of First Half of 2016 14 2016.08.03 6331 30
243 리뷰 [펌글] 용화는 음역대가 넓어서 좋다 I love Yonghwa's wide vocal range 3 2012.11.18 19563 15
242 리뷰 2014.01.24 BMLA후기 (스압주의) 37 file 2014.01.26 1971 15
241 리뷰 [Can't Stop] 씨엔블루 신곡, 미리 들은 스타들의 반응은? Stars' Reactions on CNBLUE's New Songs 25 2014.02.18 10300 13
240 리뷰 Like a Child - 강한결 작가님 트윗 Writer Kang Hangyeol 12 2014.03.15 3900 13
239 리뷰 정민재 (대중음악 평론가) Jung Minjae (Pop music critic) 5 2020.11.19 1102 13
238 리뷰 [Melon] 유희열의 스케치북 명공연 Top 7 Performances on YHY's Sketchbook 11 2016.05.23 2766 12
237 리뷰 7˚CN - 음악평론가 김영대 단평 Music critic Kim Youngdae's tweet 7 2017.03.29 2006 12
236 리뷰 씨엔블루는 Can't stop로 다시 태어났다 CNBLUE is born again with Can't Stop - 사자비의 세상모든리뷰 15 2014.03.22 3667 11
235 리뷰 7°CN - 2017년 베스트 케이팝 앨범 / 15 Best K-pop Albums of 2017 7 2017.12.06 1603 11
» 리뷰 【E】김바다씨 인터뷰 중 씨엔블루 언급 Comments on CNBLUE by Kim Bada 28 2014.03.10 4799 10
233 리뷰 【E】 제프 벤자민 인터뷰 중 씨엔블루/정용화 언급부분 CNBLUE/Yonghwa mentioned in interview with Jeff Benjamin 6 2015.09.05 3173 10
232 리뷰 7ºCN by 이즘 IZM 5 2017.03.31 1493 10
231 리뷰 【한】7°CN by Is This How You K-pop? 9 2017.04.06 1403 10
230 리뷰 Do Disturb - by 이즘 Izm 6 2017.07.26 2139 10
229 리뷰 [번역] 씨엔블루, 한파 닥친 뉴욕에서 특별한 '블루문' 콘서트 11 file 2014.01.24 3463 9
228 리뷰 [Can't Stop] 씨엔블루의 미공개 신곡! 스타들의 반응 3탄 Stars' Reactions on CNBLUE's New Songs-ver. 3 11 2014.02.20 5424 9
227 리뷰 [Can't Stop] 탑스타뉴스 편집장님 트윗 Topstarnews Editor's tweet 5 2014.03.07 3000 9
226 리뷰 2gether, Blueming 단평 by 이명 Different Sound 5 2017.02.12 1399 9
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next
/ 13