조회 수 1607 추천 수 3 댓글 4
?

단축키

Prev이전 문서

Next다음 문서

크게 작게 위로 아래로 댓글로 가기 인쇄 첨부
Monique Melendez

02-kcon-2017-red-carpet-billboard-a-1548.jpg

CNBLUE at a KCON NY 2017 fan engagement event.

When Korean pop-rock band and KCON NY headliner CNBLUE enters the interview room at the Prudential Center, leader and vocalist Yonghwa makes his presence known. He walks in with a swagger and introduces himself in English, while Jonghyun (guitarist), Minhyuk (drummer) and Jungshin (bassist) smile sheepishly at their leader's antics.

The members' relaxed, jovial natures belie the initial difficulties they faced along the path to becoming KCON NY's Saturday night headliners. The band, FNC Entertainment's second pop-rock group following the success of F.T. Island, initially made its debut in Japan in 2009, where the members performed on the streets of Tokyo. CNBLUE's first mini-album, Now or Never, failed to chart; after the band's second Japanese EP peaked at No. 227 on the Korean albums chart, the members returned to South Korea at the very beginning of 2010. CNBLUE's first Korean single, the addictive and insanely hummable “I'm a Loner,” was a commercial success that carved out a place in the K-pop industry for the band's pop-rock sound.

The conflict between the authenticity of the rock sound and the rigid nature of the Korean pop industry is "something of the past," Yonghwa says. “Times are changing so fast with social media and whatnot. I feel like it's more important to go along with the changes of the industry -- as a band, that's what we're trying to do.”

“Us as a band, we try to synthesize what's hot in the music industry while we're retaining our own colors as CNBLUE,” Yonghwa adds. Since the release of “I'm a Loner” over seven years ago, the members have experimented with everything from swing (2016 single “You're So Fine) and modern electronic (7CN's “Between Us” and “When I Was Young”) to Latin sounds (“Diamond Girl,” 7CN's “Royal Rumble.”)

01-kcon-2017-red-carpet-billboard-a-1548.jpg
CNBLUE on the red carpet at KCON NY 2017.

“I definitely feel like Yonghwa is good at spotting trends musically,” Minhyun says of the group's leader, who produces the vast majority of the band's music. “Utilizing pop sounds within the music that we're doing...I'm really proud of that, and I really enjoy doing that.”

“If you see bands like Maroon 5 or Coldplay, when they release their albums, you listen to them and you immediately think, 'Oh, they're able to do this genre,'” Yonghwa says. “Meshing all these genres is a trend, and we're trying to be at the forefront of that trend.”

The genre-meshing sound of CNBLUE's latest EP 7CN landed it on the Billboard World Albums chart earlier this year, where it came in at No. #8 in its first week of sales. “Personally I feel like we still have a long way to go and a long way to grow as a band, so 'seven' is the temperature we're at currently,” Jungshin says of the EP's name.

Despite the humility of the EP's name, however, the band is immensely proud of what they've achieved and the songs they've created -- it's easy for them to narrow down which songs they're proudest of when asked.

"Between Us," Yonghwa answers. “I feel like that song has the strongest pop-flavor style. The songs I'm most proud of are newest songs that we've just released.”

“When I Was Young,” Jonghyun says: a future EDM-influenced song he produced and arranged for 7CN. “I'm really trying to reconcile two desires within me [while] preparing for a new album,” he says. “Right now, when I listen to really old but classic rock songs, I really like those, but I also really like house music as well. My homework is to try and figure out a way these two genres can blend and make a good song.” The goal? Something like Daft Punk and Pharrell's “Get Lucky,” they suggest. They've recently rediscovered Jeff Beck, making Jonghyun's homework even more complicated.

For over seven years, they've captivated listeners in both South Korea and Japan, their popularity even withstanding the wane of hallyu in the latter. Their talents go far beyond music shows and concert stages; each member's taken over television screens in South Korea with numerous drama roles, with Yonghwa making his big screen debut earlier this year as a chef. What's next for these hyphenated talents?

“Billboard Hot 100,” Yonghwa says with a laugh. “I'll take No. 99.”

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/7857101/cnblue-interview-kcon-ny
  • anonymous 2017.07.06 09:03
    They will able to do that soon... Keep it up your good work man.. we are really proud all ofu.
  • anonymous 2017.07.06 09:59
    From feedback from audiences from shows like KCON and others, it's obvious that CNBLUE'S music is appealing and easily accepted, so getting into mainstream billboard shouldn't be a problem. But that can only happen if their agency does a better job of promoting them. The last mini album released was hardly promoted and so many people didnt even know that it was released. As a result, it didn't do as well as it should have.
  • anonymous 2017.07.06 14:50
    unfortunately their agency doesn't seem to have a clue about how to promote them in the US.
  • anonymous 2017.07.06 16:32
    Don't even talk about US, they are doing a crappy job in Korea itself. Really so mad with this incompetent agency.

1. No Image

뮤직뱅크 Music Bank - 대기실 인터뷰 Waiting room interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEYwVGUjLcs&feature=youtu.be cr. goldenbridgesfo
    Date2017.07.22 Category인터뷰 Views640 Votes2
    Read More
  2. Billboard: South Korean Group CNBLUE Talks Creating a Rock Sound in K-Pop

Monique Melendez CNBLUE at a KCON NY 2017 fan engagement event. When Korean pop-rock band and KCON NY headliner CNBLUE enters the interview room at the Prudential Center, leader and vocalist Yonghwa makes his presence known. He walks in with...
    Date2017.07.06 Category인터뷰 Views1607 Votes3
    Read More
  3. 【E】정용화'합주 통해 음악 만드는 게 곧 밴드…밴드 위한 공연장 짓고파' JYH 'Want to Build Concert Halls for Bands'

>>Scroll down for English<< K팝 히든 프로듀서<8> 씨엔블루 정용화 미니 7집 내고 아시아 투어 중 솔로 2집 "이제 밴드 의식 안하고 자유롭게 만들어 방송은 라이브 보여줄 수 없어 공연 선호" 한번 들어도 따라부를 수 있는 곡이 특기 아이돌 밴드. 2007년 ...
    Date2017.07.02 Category인터뷰 Views4643 Votes22
    Read More
  4. No Image

[Toggle] CNBLUE: Of turning 30 and working with JJ Lin

It’s been over a year since CNBLUE last performed on our sunny shores – their last show, 2016 CNBLUE LIVE [COME TOGETHER] IN SINGAPORE – was held last February, and it looks like the quartet has an even better show in store for fans this tim...
    Date2017.06.29 Category인터뷰 Views1309 Votes2
    Read More
  5. No Image

(Engsub) KCONNY17 CNBLUE Fan Engagement Yonghwa cut

cr. justJYH (please don't reup!!) *warning: very SHAKY...sorry! Y_Y 멀미주의: 흔들림이 많습니다 ㅡㅜ....
    Date2017.06.25 Category인터뷰 Views2507 Votes8
    Read More
  6. No Image

[번역] [音楽 ナタリー] CNBLUE 얽매이지 않는 4인의 '멋진 스타일'

좀 길어요 ^^;; -------------------            씨엔블루가 5월 10일 새 싱글 [SHAKE]를 발매한다. 미국, 독일의 작곡가와 공동제작했다는 타이틀곡은 소울 뮤직 느낌을 도입한 경쾌한 댄스튠이다. 상쾌하게 울려 퍼지는 멜로디, "남의 눈 신경 쓰지 말고, 자...
    Date2017.05.14 Category인터뷰 Views792 Votes5
    Read More
  7. No Image

[번역] [K-STYLE] CNBLUE의 응원곡 도착! 암호는 [SHAKE! SHAKE!]

CNBLUE가 여름을 데리고 일본에 찾아왔다. 11번째 일본 싱글 [SHAKE]는 무심결에 몸을 흔들고 싶어지는 그들의 새로운 댄스튠 넘버다. 그런 이번 작품에 관한 인터뷰. 곡에 담긴 생각, 그리고 뮤직비디오 에피소드를 비롯, 3월에 이루어진 팬미팅 이야기 등,...
    Date2017.05.12 Category인터뷰 Views901 Votes3
    Read More
  8. No Image

【KCON 2017 JAPAN × CNBLUE】STAR COUNTDOWN!!

cr. Mnet Japan
    Date2017.05.12 Category인터뷰 Views504 Votes1
    Read More
  9. No Image

[번역] [EMTG MUSIC] CNBLUE 사상, 최고의 댄스곡 [SHAKE] 발매!

CNBLUE 사상, 최고의 댄스곡 [SHAKE] 발매! 2017.05.10        작년 10월, 일본 메이저 데뷔 5주년 기념에 빛나는 행복에 가득 찬 앨범 『 EUPHORIA 』를 발매. 6년째에 돌입한 2017년, 그 앨범에서 이어진 긍정적인 분위기 속에서 CNBLUE 사상 최고의 댄...
    Date2017.05.11 Category인터뷰 Views1058 Votes3
    Read More
  10. No Image

[excite music] CNBLUE/New Single [SHAKE] 인터뷰 번역

CNBLUE가 5월 10일 11번째 싱글 『SHAKE』를 발매한다. 리드곡 「SHAKE」는, 초여름의 해방감에 넘치는 상쾌한 트랙. 송캠프라는 형식으로 만든 이 곡은, 「SHAKE」라는 타이틀 그대로, 무심결에 몸을 움직이고 싶어지는 댄스튠으로 완성되었으며, CNBLUE...
    Date2017.05.09 Category인터뷰 Views1546 Votes3
    Read More
  11. Barks - 씨엔블루, 신기축의 소울 팝 'Shake'의 새로운 점은? (부분번역)

씨엔블루가 새 싱글 'SHAKE'를 5월 10일에 발매한다. 지난해 일본에서 메이저 데뷔 5주년을 맞이한 그들이 새롭게 내놓은 넘버는 경쾌한 '소울 팝'. 일본에서는 지금까지 락적인 어프로치의 음악을 많이 발표 해온 씨엔블루지만, 이번에는 밴드의 또 다른 얼...
    Date2017.05.01 Category인터뷰 Views1473 Votes5
    Read More
  12. No Image

[번역] ananweb [K-POP의 늪 탐험] CNBLUE 등장! 사장님이 되고 싶은 사람은 누구?!

<K-POP의 늪 탐험> 씨엔블루 등장! 회사에 근무한다면 사장님이 되고 싶은 사람은 누구?! #21   2016년에 일본 메이저 데뷔 5주년을 맞이한 4인조 인기 밴드 씨엔블루. 신곡 <SHAKE>의 비주얼 콘셉트가 "샐러리맨"이라서, "만약, 회사에 근무한다면..."하...
    Date2017.04.17 Category인터뷰 Views760 Votes4
    Read More
  13. No Image

스케치북 미방분 Sketchbook Unaired

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSWpDovA3tS/ https://www.instagram.com/p/BSWplZUg_GG/ https://www.instagram.com/p/BSWpzdiAeid/ https://www.instagram.com/p/BSWqLuyAAwq/ https://www.instagram.com/p/BSWqXWagZ17/ cr. jjung_yong
    Date2017.04.02 Category인터뷰 Views803 Votes2
    Read More
  14. No Image

[팝인터뷰]씨엔블루 “‘헷갈리게’, 못 듣는 사람이 손해”

[헤럴드POP=박수정 기자] 숫자 대신 음악으로 말한다. 데뷔 7주년을 맞은 씨엔블루는 자신들의 길을 걷고 있다. 밴드 씨엔블루는 지난 20일 일곱 번째 미니앨범 ‘7°CN’을 발표하고 지난 23일 Mnet ‘엠카운트다운’에서 타이틀곡 '헷갈리게' 첫 방송 무대를 공개...
    Date2017.03.24 Category인터뷰 Views1417 Votes7
    Read More
  15. No Image

[스타캐스트 Starcast] 7℃N 관련 부분 Interview on 7℃N

#2. 7년, 미니 7집, ‘7℃N’ 커피와 함께 씨엔블루의 새 앨범 ‘7℃N’ 이야기도 빼놓을 수 없겠죠? Q. 오늘 마신 커피 원두 맛은 어땠는지? A. 콜롬비아 원두 아주 맛있었습니다. 제 스타일이에요. Q. 평소 모카포트로 커피를 추출한다는데 어떻게 접하게 되었는지...
    Date2017.03.17 Category인터뷰 Views1815 Votes9
    Read More
  16. No Image

2016 FNC Kingdom Special Interview

Date2017.03.13 Category인터뷰 Views585 Votes1
    Read More
  17. No Image

[爱豆拌饭] 나홀로집에 피쳐링 비하인드 Home Alone featuring BTS

cr. TencentVideo
    Date2017.01.06 Category인터뷰 Views541 Votes1
    Read More
  18. No Image

라비(RAVI)- 나홀로 집에 (feat. 정용화)'s Message

cr. http://www.vlive.tv/video/19822 Hello, this is Jung Yonghwa. This coming January 4th, 2017, at 0:00, Ravi's first solo album's pre-release that I featured, "Home Alone" will be released. Since his debut, I've always kept my eye on Ravi....
    Date2016.12.30 Category인터뷰 Views1174 Votes4
    Read More
  19. No Image

2016 KBS 가요대축제 레드카펫 & 대기실 Red Carpet & Wait room interview

cr. TT BOICE cr. Bin Bin no
    Date2016.12.29 Category인터뷰 Views645 Votes1
    Read More
  20. No Image

레드카펫 Red Carpet 2016 SBS 가요대전 Gayo Daejun 2016.12.26

cr. Mystery History
    Date2016.12.27 Category인터뷰 Views505 Votes0
    Read More