?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

Just Anybody
Can't Become
Jung Yonghwa

-As far as I know, women like Jung Yonghwa. He has favorable manners and style that appeals to adults, a singing ability that attracts women, and outstanding looks that anybody has to admit. That's why we have always remained alert whether Jung Yonghwa sings or acts. Especially in front of our girlfriends, we didn't say a word about him.

Not everyone can become Jung Yonghwa.

In reevaluating Jung Yonghwa, the impact of [Radio Star] that he appeared a few months ago was immense.  In sum, he was "dissed" throughout the show in an episode with all the members of CNBLUE where he is the leader. They pointed out that compared to the early days when Jung Yonghwa had led CNBLUE with fame and popularity following [You're Beautiful], his 'contribution' perhaps decreased nowadays because the other members are also recognized with singing and acting abilities. Adding the story that his recent dramas fared poorly in a row, they continued attacks that characterize [Radio Star]. Although we don't know how he actually felt inside, Jung Yonghwa's attitude was unexpectedly cool. On top of the honorable statement "It's nice that everyone's successful now," he countered aptly with a youthful vigor, "Still, I'm different." 

Jung Yonghwa arrived at the studio with a slight injury. He's now busy filming tvN's Sunday season-system drama "The Three Musketeers". "TTM" is inspired by the novel that we've all encountered at least once, "TTM" written in the 19th century by the French author Alexandre Dumas. Situated during King Injo's rule, 'Park Dalhyang', a Gangwon Province warrior who rises from a poor yangban family and tries out for the military exam in Hanyang, meets the three musketeers: Crown Prince Sohyeon and his guards Heo Seungpo and An Minseo. It's an action-packed romantic swashbuckler that goes back and forth between Joseon and Qing China. He plays Park Dalhyang, who corresponds to d'Artagnan in the original novel. In other words, the main character.

"I had a very slight contusion when I was riding a horse during the filming yesterday."

He's limping. To play Park Dalhyang, he grew his hair out, tanned his skin and trimmed away fat to leave only the muscles. He's quite a man now. "TTM" is just in its third filming.

"This is my first period drama, and it's fun. Just ilke how I like 'Running Man' among variety shows, I like how this show has movements and action. It's not too hard on my body. Falling from a horse and getting small injuries don't bother me one bit."

Drama "TTM" is Jung Yonghwa's rare pick that centers around males. Whereas his previous works -- "MHIYD", "Heartstrings"-- were centered on romance, this one is in line with the variety show "Running Man", where his appearances drew high praises.

"We recently filmed the teaser. It was my first time standing together with the three musketeers. We filmed a scene where we walked together. Checking that video, it got me immersed in the role. It felt already emotional when I thought of how we will do well together, then later separate."

That sounds like Park Dalhyang.

"D'Artagnan's character is a little serious in the British drama, and a little cheerful in the film "TTM". In this drama, he's like a rock star. He dislikes swallowing his pride, mature but also immature at times. The kid who used to excel in the countryside still is full of confidence in Seoul. Then he's upgraded after he meets the three musketeers. I'm highly anticipating how he'll grow up."

Pure bravado is a sentiment that can also appeal to male viewers. On top of that, the romance factor is there with an unrequited love for his childhood crush. In other words, the character is like an assorted gift box that has the potential to be very popular.

"That's right. It's a season-system as well, which makes it seem like an American drama. By the way, I have discarded my greed for the ratings this time. Honestly, this is the first drama I'm pouring all of my focus even before the filming. I really like the story of "TTM" ever since I was little. We have a group kakaotalk chatroom for "TTM" drama team. (In there,) we'd pledge 'let's not injure ourselves and hold on together until season 3.'"

LJW, YDG, and a rookie JHI each play the three musketeers. Jung Yonghwa's the youngest. On the other hand, in his own group CNBLUE he steadily carries on the role of the leader.

"Now the other members have their own position to speak up. I think I used to carry much on my shoulders up to now, but it's easier these days. Instead, I now think I should be better than them in anything that I do. That I should become a person that the dongsaengs would acknowledge."

At age twenty-six, he must have slowly started thinking about the brand Jung Yonghwa.

"It would seem like I didn't go through much suffering for a celebrity. But when I reminisce, in a way.... Because I was loved so much early in my career, I was almost obsessed not to lose it up until last year. However, when it turned this year, I let go of some of that urgency, I became relaxed. Being less stressed out, I began to enjoy things more. It also seems like I grew out of the idol vibe a little, just doing music when I do it and acting when I do dramas."

Another nickname that Jung Yonghwa's fans gave him is "Yong Gildong", after "Hong Gildong". Just like how HGD appears one moment in the West and next in the East, Yonghwa's very busy.

"It's been about 5 years since debut. I really dashed on without rest. One day, watching myself accomplishing all the tasks I'd feel 'Human limitations are incredibly vast'. But it also feels like it'd be awkward once the business disappears. I want to try and go travelling next year.  Strangely, even though I could go before, I couldn't bring up the courage to go."

Despite being one of the top hallyu stars, Jung Yonghwa was modest until the end.

"Sure, it feels good to receive Best New Artist award in China and things like that, but I feel the happiest when -- for example, my mother's friend's daughter wants my autograph. If my friend could be proud to say 'I'm friends with Jung Yonghwa', that's the best."

Throughout the interview, Jung Yonghwa spoke in Busan dialect. He then uttered this.

"Just like Jung Yonghwa. That's what I want to hear. He's really brilliant. To the point where people would think, 'What does he not have?' In every way... That's just like Jung Yonghwa..."

Jung Yonghwa's growth rings seem as condensed as the six pack abs he developed.

• Amm 2014.07.22 01:11
    This is pretty long...thank you so much ^^
  • desy 2014.07.22 01:11
    ㅠㅠㅠㅠ... i cantgive comments yet.. i am still crying after reading this. Thanks for being relaxed ♥. Always love your interview
  • anne 2014.07.22 01:24
    Why am I crying? I'm so proud of all he's accomplished and how he's matured through the years. I'm proud to be called his fan. He's gone through so much but he's still our positive and hardworking artists that we have grown to admire through the 5 years since he came into the scene.

Thank you so much for translating this article. He's really DAEBAK!!! I can't wait to meet his Park DalHyang.
  • mystarYH 2014.07.22 01:33
    감사합니다~~~~
    짧지만 마음에 많이 남는 인터뷰입니다.
    긴 시간동안 다치지 않았으면 좋겠고, 삼총사는 대박났음 좋겠네요. 용화야 언제나 화이팅!!
  • risn0622 2014.07.22 01:40
    my tears omg you always be my insipiration of life. your hardworking make me cry TT
  • Cherie 2014.07.22 01:48
    I'm so proud of him ㅠㅡㅠ He really work hard since debut and I think he needs some rest. I hope his dream will come true. Wishing the best for him^^ *cry*
  • Iput 2014.07.22 01:58
    Thank you so much :)) glad to know that he's now more relaxed doing his works and he definitely should go and traveling next year..maybe hawai ? ^^
  • happyday 2014.07.22 02:03

인터뷰 읽는내내 마음이 너무 아프네요ㅠㅠㅠ짧지만 용화의 마음의 깊이가 느껴져서 뭉클했어요....
    데뷔때부터 지금까지 피나는 노력을 하고 있고 용화는 그동안 너무 잘해왔죠....
    너의 팬인게 너무 자랑스럽다~~^^용화야 힘내!!

• bluish2012 2014.07.22 02:15
    at first questioning myself, am I the only one who tears out when I read this??? but when I read all the comments...no I'm not...

OMG, I always said in my tweet : Jung YongHwa...what are U? are u human/or angel??? oh God...yes there is a sadness when I read the interview but there's also feeling proud about uri Jung YongHwa. Yes, I think it is time for him Just to think ONLY about Jung YongHwa, not everyone else. It's time for him to be selfish just for once. Thank God I choosed the right person to be fan of.

Thank you for always helping us (International fans) in sharing the interview and the news about Jung YongHwa. Thank you ^___^
  • Mars 2014.07.22 02:35
    Thank you so much for the trans =)

I absolutely love this interview. It's so honest, raw and hopeful. I really feel like I peaked into his inner thoughts.

also, that last phrase is a killer hahah
  • zarabella93 2014.07.22 02:43
    Omg no words can describe how amazing this guys is. Im so sad to hear that he's limping. I will always support him
  • Pearl 2014.07.22 02:47
    Thank you so much for the trans. I'm really happy to see that he is enjoying the drama now even though it's probably one of the toughest to film. I hope he gets to fulfil his wish to take a long holiday next year to rest and enjoy his fruits of labour.

I love how his biggest happiness is knowing that he made his family or friends proud. This shows how he cares more for others than for himself.

I wish him all the best in this drama cos he so deserve to be acknowledged for his acting talent and efforts.
  • steelyhazel 2014.07.22 02:58
    True about the impact of the Radio Star. I was nervous when I heard about their appearance on the show that is known for its ruthlessness. And ruthless it was! Yet he emerged from the show a clear and undisputed winner. I guess he impressed many that day. He is different.
  • sandra 2014.07.22 02:59
    Thanks for translating! I just can say i'm proud to be his fan and i'll always support him. His dedication shall be rewarded with all the love from fans :')
  • musica 2014.07.22 03:05
    Thank you soooo much for the quick translation. As I recall, the magazine just came out today. You really do spoil us, thanks again. YH's interviews have been rare treats for me. It moves me with it's earnestness and a total lack of pretension. This time, I felt he has reached a certain turning point in his life and the career, more mature and reflective. More confident in his unique way. Most of us have to wait a whole lot more years to get to this, some never do^^. I sincerely hope this amazing young man never loses his voracious appetite for life and continues his life journey with this level of confidence and wisdom. I will be his unseen supporter forever!
  • YAT 2014.07.22 03:28
    Thank you so much for translating. I admire this amazing young man and I have great confidence in JungYongHwa brand.
  • ta_yooong 2014.07.22 04:16
    Thank you for the translation , everything else can be read in everyone's comment! Such an affirmation of what i felt for this astounding young man!
  • jeana 2014.07.22 04:26
    thanks for the trans. reading his inner thoughts really makes me happy. thanks for sharing yourself to us yong.
    I also pray for the safe filming with the cast and crew
  • jen 2014.07.22 04:36
    Just like Jung Yonghwa. That's what I want "to hear. He's really brilliant. To the point where people would think, 'What does he not have?' In every way... That's just like Jung Yonghwa..."---Does he know this site?lol..jk
  • favoriteblue28 2014.07.22 04:36
    THIS """Now the other members have their own position to speak up. I think I used to carry much on my shoulders up to now, but it's easier these days. Instead, I now think I should be better than them in anything that I do. That I should become a person that the dongsaengs would acknowledge""" SADDEN MY HEART , BUT AT THE SAME TIME FEEL THAT IT IS GOOD THAT HE CAN RELAX AND DON'T HAVE TO ANSWER THE QUESTION FOR THE GROUP ALL THE TIME. LIKE KILLING HIS BRAIN TO BRAINSTORM ALL THE ANWERS. YONGHWA IS ONE OF THE ODD STANDOUT FROM THE CROWN, HE RATHER ""If my friend could be proud to say 'I'm friends with Jung Yonghwa', that's the best.""" YONGHWA SUCH A GOOD BOY. MAKE THIS AJUMA NOT FEELING GUITY TO ADORE HIM AT ALL.
  • yuri 2014.07.22 06:27
    Thank you for the translation...again ^___^

A confident young man..that's what I love about him...while the insecure ones busy find faults of others, the confident ones busy working harder to improve themselves. I'm happy he's enjoying his life...as always BE HAPPY JYH...I'll always support you, promise :)
  • BLUEwind☆ 2014.07.22 06:45
    타이핑 감사합니다:)
  • Lullaby 2014.07.22 07:32

Just by reading this interview I know he's more relaxed now and has let go some pressure he used to put on himself, I'm relieved. He sounded calm and composed. And yes, he's 26 and they can't be always rejecting those offers that came only for him when his peers in the entertainment business are pursuing and competing for the very same opportunity.
    Glad to heart that even at the early stage of filming the cast and crew of TTM have seem to get close to each other. ^^

• honey-y 2014.07.22 08:00
    초지일관........ 용화에게 딱 어울리는 말이죠.. 아니 용화를 두고 하는말인것 같아요... 이젠 용화만 생각하고 용화를 위한 계획만 있길 바래요...
  • dudquf 2014.07.22 09:01
    말 한마디 한마디가 다 가슴에 와 닿네요. 에휴~~~~~
  • s.jefferson 2014.07.22 09:29
    Thank you very much for this long translation... I always say YH is a very responsible guy. He doesn't even dare to slow down until other team members have had their position. I really can't support you less. You are the best!
  • klaritia 2014.07.22 09:52

I didn't cry reading the interview. I was just very angry because I thought of the bullsh*t people ("fans" included) said about his "status" in the group.

Not just any ambitious person can be successful. Jung Yong Hwa is different.

• bluesky_am 2014.07.22 10:09
    이전 작품은 뭔가 스스로를 위한 결정이라기보다는 소속사의 판단이나 소속사를 위한 의사결정이었다는 느낌이 강했다면, 이번 삼총사라는 작품은 정용화씨 스스로를 위한 결정이었다는 느낌이 이 인터뷰를 보고 확실히 드네요. 그래서 좀 더 응원해주고 싶구요 (음모론 싫어하는데, 소속사의 의사결정이 아니라 본인이 원하는 작품을 선택해서 이렇게 하드하게 스케줄을 소화해야 하나하는 생각도 들고..스케줄은 정말 안타깝네요) 정말 윗분들도 말씀하셨지만 짧지만 예년과는 조금은 달라진, 조금은 팀을 위한 책임감보다는 자신을 생각하게 되는 여유를 갖게 된 것도 다행인듯 하구요...하여간 무조건 화이팅입니다.
  • Are17 2014.07.22 10:12
    I do not think you can see someone like him, much less become him. HE IS UNIQUE and is the BEST
  • strawberriesblues 2014.07.22 10:16
    Thank you Heich for the trans of this beautiful piece. Beautiful him in and out. Speechless now and praying harder for him, his health, his safety, him, just for Jung Yong Hwa.
  • depalz 2014.07.22 13:57
    ~you really never failed us to make proud of you Yong !!!
    it's good to hear it fr you, coz at the end of the day
    it's your health thats matter the most.

Continue being an "INSPIRATION"
    to us (BOICEs) We'll always pray
    for your safety & good health.
    CNBLUE FOREVER ^_^ dajukja yeah ♥♥♥
  • sakuratint 2014.07.22 19:34
    Thank you for the translations! ^^~
    Indeed, this kind of interviews are the best -- where we can find out how yonghwa truly feels. He has never failed to make me proud. Though he has received an onslaught of criticisms during radio star, i was happy he handled the situation calmly and emerged as the winner ^^ Inarguably, yonghwa IS different, and not everyone can be jung yong hwa.
  • littlelynn 2014.07.22 22:42
    I can't thank you enough for this translation. THANK YOU!!
  • silvergate08 2014.07.24 00:39
    this kind of article that i wanted to read about him *cries* TT__TT
  • anonymous 2018.03.25 22:41
    ㅜㅜㅜㅜㅠㅠㅠ

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Date Views Votes
667 Photos 승포님 트위터 Seungpo's twitter :) 13 file 2014.07.31 2196 7
666 Photos [HQ] 3 pics from official site (2014.07.30) 7 file 2014.07.30 2736 6
665 Photos [TTM] Official Site Profile Pic (w/Character Description Translation), etc. 8 file 2014.07.28 5773 6
664 Photos [MHIYD] VJ Seju Still (TW Yes Entertainment) 4 file 2014.07.28 2247 2
663 Interview [삼총사 TTM] 박달향 인터뷰 영상 Park Dalhyang Interview 10 file 2014.07.27 4251 8
662 Photos [TTM] Official Facebook Update (07.26) file 2014.07.26 2840 5
661 Video [TTM] 삼총사 : 메인 티저 Main Teaser 29 2014.07.25 3742 11
660 Photos [삼총사 TTM] 티저 촬영 비하인드컷 Teaser BTS 2~ 3 file 2014.07.23 2575 5
659 News ‘삼총사’ 정용화, 티저 박달향편 10만 돌파…이미 ‘달향의 시대’ "TTM" Jung Yonghwa's Teaser reaches 100,000 Views...The 'Era of Dalhyang' Arrives Already 1 2014.07.23 2068 3
658 Photos [TTM] Official Facebook Update: Park Dalhyang Photo 5 file 2014.07.22 3288 6
657 News 【E】2014.07.21 Taiwan Yes Entertainment Report 鄭容和美男拍寫真 全副武裝舞劍電暈粉絲 Beautiful Guy Jung Yong Hwa's Pictorial and Fully Armored Swordplay Electrifies Fans 3 2014.07.22 2352 8
» Interview Esquire Korea 2014.08 "Just Anybody Can't Become Jung Yonghwa" 35 2014.07.22 7702 27
655 Photos [삼총사 TTM] 공식 포스터 Official Poster! 10 file 2014.07.20 4156 7
654 Interview Vogue Korea 2014.08 The Three Musketeers (Yonghwa related) 27 2014.07.20 32480 16
653 Photos [삼총사 TTM] 상투 튼 달향~ Dalhyang with a topknot 8 file 2014.07.19 2352 3
652 News 【E】'삼총사' 작가, 정용화에 특별주문 "남미축구처럼 흥겹게 연기하라" Special order by "TTM" writer to JYH: "Act with Vigor like Latin American Soccer" 7 2014.07.17 3288 11
651 Photos [TTM] 4 HQ Dalhyang Photos! 5 file 2014.07.16 3363 4
650 News ‘삼총사’ 정용화-이진욱, 2종 티저 전격 공개… 비주얼 압도! 3 2014.07.16 1980 1
649 News [삼총사 TTM] 강빈의 연애편지 Princess Kang's Love letter 9 2014.07.16 4925 4
648 Video [삼총사 TTM] 달향 티저! Dalhyang Teaser!! 38 2014.07.16 4566 16
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... 69 Next
/ 69